Victorian. And proud of it. Interactive museum experience launches at Immigration Museum
Victorian Government and Immigration Museum launch family-friendly interactive exhibition trail. Experience active art murals, immersive virtual reality video experiences, and engage with multicultural programming.
Victorian. And proud of it. at Immigration Museum
Open now, until December 2018
400 Flinders St, Melbourne
Activation free with museum entry
For programming information and tickets visit the Immigration Museum website.
For more information about Victorian. And proud of it. visit proud.vic.gov.au.
About the museum trail
The Victorian. And proud of it. experience, co-presented by the Victorian Government, in collaboration with venue partner Immigration Museum, is about sharing stories and celebrating everyday examples of contribution that Victorians from all walks of life make. It is about belonging.
This activation complements Immigration Museum’s commitment to highlighting and celebrating all communities, while emphasising shared human experience. Wherever we were born, whichever language we first spoke, whatever faith we follow, we’re all Victorian, and it’s important for all of us to belong and contribute to a society that we can be proud of.
Quote from Rohini Kappadath – General Manager, Immigration Museum; "We are very proud to be partnering with the Department of Premier and Cabinet (Victoria) to present this family friendly and interactive museum trail experience. Victorian. And proud of it. powerfully reflects the importance that Immigration Museum places on personal stories and experiences. This campaign promotes the same strong commitment to diversity and opportunity that underpins both the Immigration Museum and Museums Victoria. We look forward to seeing audiences of all ages engage meaningfully with the trail and to celebrating the contributions of Victorians from all walks of life."
The trail begins on the ground floor where visitors can watch Victorian. And proud of it.ambassador stories of contribution and belonging. These eight Victorian. And proud of it.ambassador stories are featured throughout the trail. Visitors are encouraged to share their Victorian stories in the Discovery Centre. They can also print personalised button badges to add to an art mural and take home with them.
On the first floor, an immersive video experience using virtual reality headsets features stories of real Victorians, including that of young lifesaver Elyas – originally from Afghanistan – who is a participant in the Bonbeach Life Saving Club’s award-winning Multicultural Surf Rescue Certificate course.
The second floor features two more art murals, exploring themes of identity in line with Immigration Museum’s permanent gallery on that floor ‘Identity: yours, mine, ours’. The ‘I am Victorian …’ mural contains statements designed to resonate on a personal level. Visitors are invited to wind thread to it, weaving a rich tapestry that is proud, diverse and accepting. Visitors can also create personalised VicMoji stickers keep and add them the ‘Faces of Victoria’ mural.
Immigration Museum - Victorian. And proud of it. - Events and activities
The Immigration Museum is proud to be supported by Victorian. And proud of it. to deliver activities, events and workshops that encourage cooperation, learning and understanding, and reflect the power of Victorian’s diverse communities. More information available at the Immigration Museum website.
- 22 September to 7 October: Turkish Yuva - Hang out in the Turkish yuva (meaning next, or home) for free throughout the spring school holidays!
- 26 September & 3 October: Ebru, Turkish art of marbling workshop – Try your hand at the traditional method of painting onto paper with pigment and oily water. Free entry.
- 7 October: Queensland Ballet at the Immigration Museum – Dance workshops for young and old, plus a special Q&A with Mao’s Last Dancer himself, Li Cunxin.
- 14 October: Under the Olive Tree – Sound and storytelling in an afternoon of traditional and contemporary Jewish and Arabic music.
- 28 October: Wellness with Gilles Chuyen – A day of yoga, meditation and Bollywood dance-inspired workshops for all ages and interest levels.
- 20 & 21 October: Beats Lab with Mohamed Komba – A weekend beats lab for emerging producers and lyricists.
- 17 November: Blue Black Beatz – A day-long celebration of contemporary African music and spoken word for Melbourne Music Week.
- 24 November: Grow, Gather, Share Gardening Workshop – A gardening workshops celebrating the diversity and history of gardening and food in Australia.
About Victorian. And proud of it.
Victorian. And proud of it. is the Victorian Government’s Multicultural Policy Statement. It shows the way forward to ensure we remain cohesive, and that every Victorian has the opportunity to be part of our state’s success.
Hi res images available here.
For more information and media enquiries:
Media & Communications Officer - Museums Victoria
0434 574 840 | [email protected]
Strategic Communications Manager - Victorian. And proud of it.
0447 239 304