link to home page
HomeImage SearchResourcesAbout
Making TracksStationsRiding the RailsStaffPower ParadeDisasters


Blue 'Harris' Electric Trains

Growth in patronage and extensions to the electrified suburban network after the Second World War led to a need for additional electric rollingstock. As part of "Operation Phoenix", 30 new electric passenger train sets were introduced from 1956 to 1959, with an additional 30 sets built from 1961-71. The new carriage design incorporated greater open space, double sliding doors and fully upholstered seating, coinciding with the abolition of separate first-class suburban fares in 1958. Painted in the same deep blue and yellow striped livery as the Victorian Railways leading country trains, the new suburban rollingstock were named "Harris trains" after former Chairman of Commissioners, Norman C. Harris.


Harris train, 1974view larger image Harris train, Jolimont, 1 March 1974.

Harris train at Hawthorn Railway Stationview larger image Harris train, Hawthorn Station.

Harris train, Brighton Beachview larger image Harris train, Brighton Beach.


© Museum Victoria Australia