link to home page
HomeImage SearchResourcesAbout
Making TracksStationsRiding the RailsStaffPower ParadeDisasters


Red Swing-Door Trains

The oldest electric rollingstock used on the Melbourne suburban system were the narrow-bodied red cross-compartment carriages, with outward swinging doors. Originally built between 1888 and 1908 for use on steam-operated suburban trains, these carriages were lengthened and fitted with new steel under-frames during conversion for electric operation in 1917-22. Commonly known as the 'doggies' or 'dog-box carriages' to distinguish them from the latter wide-bodied red carriages, they became the longest serving suburban rollingstock, with the last finally being withdrawn in 1974.


 Electric trainview larger image Red swing-door electric train, Heidelburg Station, circa 1935.

 Electric train beneath bridgeview larger image Electric suburban train on Darling to Glen Waverley line, Mount Waverley, 1929.

Dogbox carriageview larger image Dogbox carriages withdrawn from service on 26 January 1974.

Dogbox carriage, 1974view larger image Dogbox carriages betwee Melbourne and Port Melbourne.


© Museum Victoria Australia