link to home page
HomeImage SearchResourcesAbout
Making TracksStationsRiding the RailsStaffPower ParadeDisasters


George England Locos

When the Victorian Railways placed orders for its first five locomotives in 1857 all the larger British manufacturers were too busy to guarantee delivery in the time required, so the engines were ordered from the recently established Hatcham Ironworks of George England & Company in London.

The four 0-6-0 type goods engines and one 2-2-2 type passenger engine where similar to those ordered by the Geelong & Melbourne Railway Company and arrived in Hobsons Bay in May 1858 where they were off-loaded at the Williamstown pier and assembled in workshops built on the foreshore. In 1860, George England & Company supplied a further seven engines to the Victorian Railways of an unconventional 2-4-0 saddle-tank design also intended for passenger services.


L-class steam locomotive, Morwellview larger image L-class No.26.

L-class steam locomotive, East Gippslandview larger image L-class steam locomotives No.18.

V-class steam locomotive, built 1858view larger image V-class steam locomotive, pre-1904.


© Museum Victoria Australia