link to home page
HomeImage SearchResourcesAbout
Making TracksStationsRiding the RailsStaffPower ParadeDisasters


Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway Co

The Melbourne & Hobsons Bay Railway Company opened Australia's first steam railway when public services began on 12 September 1854 on its short 2ΒΌ-mile (3.6 km) line connecting Melbourne with a deepwater pier at Sandridge (later Port Melbourne) on Hobsons Bay.

Despite high construction costs the railway was an immediate success carrying 270,000 passengers and 28,135 tons of goods in its first full year of operations. In 1857 the company opened a second railway to St Kilda and in 1865 merged with the remaining suburban railway companies to form the Melbourne & Hobsons Bay United Railway Company.


 St Kilda Railway Stationview larger image St Kilda Railway Station, circa 1885.

 Flinders Street westview larger image View west from Flinders St Station, 1899,

Queens Bridge, Yarra River, Melbourneview larger image Sandridge Railway Bridge & Yarra Turning Basin with the Falls Bridge (later Queens Bridge) in the foreground, about 1920.

 Steam locomotive remainsview larger image Remains from a Hobsons Bay Railway Company steam locomotive, Leneva, circa 1990.

Melbourne and Hobsons Bay United locomotive, Sth Yarraview larger image Melbourne and Hobsons Bay United locomotive No.20, South Yarra Station, circa 1874.

Steam locomotive and workers, Hobson's Bayview larger image Hobsons Bay steam locomotive with staff.

Port Melbourne Railway Station, about 1890view larger image Port Melbourne Station, circa 1890.


© Museum Victoria Australia