How to make a magnifying glass
Have you ever wondered why things look bigger when you look at them with a magnifying glass? This video will show you how to make your own with things you can find at home and along the way we will show you how a convex lens bends light to make things look larger.
You will need
- A 2L plastic bottle with a rounded top
- Circular lid from a jar or a keep cup
- Marker pen
- Look for an area on your bottle with a nice curve and no writing or bumps
- Trace around the lid with the pen to make a circle on your bottle.
- Draw a little handle at the bottom of your circle.
- Carefully cut out your circle + handle shape with the scissors
- Holding the handle, half fill the bottle cut-out with water to make a convex lens.
- Find things to inspect, being careful not to spill water.