Frequently asked questions
Unsure about something, check the answers to our commonly asked questions.
To collect your Museum Teachers card, please visit the information desk at Scienceworks, the administration desk at Melbourne Museum or the ticketing desk at the Immigration Museum with your evidence of teaching status and registration as listed above and photo identification.
Once you have collected your Museum Teachers card, you can access free entry to our museums (Melbourne Museum, Immigration Museum and Scienceworks) by showing your museum teachers card and photo ID at the ticketing desk on the day you wish to visit.
To collect your Museum Teachers card, please visit the information desk at Scienceworks, the administration desk at Melbourne Museum or the ticketing desk at the Immigration Museum with evidence of your teaching status and registration as listed above and photo identification.
You can collect your Museum Teachers card any time after you have completed the online subscription process.
Please email [email protected] if you have lost your Museum Teachers card and would like a replacement.
The previous card becomes invalid once the replacement Museum Teachers card is issued.
Please note that replacement cards do not contain the free Lightning Room show or Planetarium show.
We ask you for personal details for the following reasons:
- Your name so that we can identify you.
- Your teaching details enable Museum Teachers to provide you with information about Museums Victoria's special programs and professional development opportunities related specifically to your teaching area.
- Details about your salutation allow us to greet you in correspondence we send to you correctly.
- Your address details help us with identity management (i.e., to manage duplicate name records).
- Your phone number allows us an alternative method of contacting you, if necessary, about special events you may attend.
Anyone is welcome to subscribe to the Museum Teachers e-newsletter, however, only Victorian teachers in any of the following registration categories are eligible to collect a Museum Teachers card and receive full program benefits:
- Fully registered teachers (blue card)
- Provisionally registered teachers (aqua card)
- Permission to teach (yellow card)
- Fully registered early childhood teachers (purple card)
- Provisionally registered early childhood teachers (orange card)
- Homeschool teachers (VRQA letter)
- Tertiary education teachers from a university, polytechnic or technical and further education (TAFE) or AMES Australia institute (Photo ID from workplace is required).
Your Museum Teachers Card and subscription does not provide access to the Museum Members priority queue at our museum. Museum Teachers must use the general admission queue unless you also have a Museum Membership.
Museum Teachers is a free professional network of teachers and educators that allows teachers to remain connected with our Museums Victoria education team and provides free individual general entry to Melbourne Museum, Scienceworks and Immigration Museum. Discounts are also available for IMAX documentaries, the Museum shop and Lightning Theatre and Planetarium shows at Scienceworks. Museum Teachers supports teachers by offering professional learning opportunities, resources to use in the classroom, and exclusive invitations to exhibition previews and special events.
Museum Members is a paid membership which provides some additional benefits to the Museum Teachers program such as free general entry to partner venues, discounted Melbourne Museum parking, invites to Members only events and discounts on touring exhibitions. Museum Members do not get access to special Museum Teacher professional learning opportunities however teachers can choose to be both a Museum Teacher and Museum Member simultaneously.
Museum Teachers are not eligible for discounted parking. This discount is only available for Museum Members.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you want to update your email address or other contact details.
No. We need to see your photo identification and evidence of teaching status that verifies that you are eligible to receive a Museum Teachers card.
Please contact us at [email protected]
All benefits associated with Museum Teachers require you to present your Museum Teacher card and photo ID.
Once you have collected your Museum Teachers card, you can access free entry to our museums by showing your Museum Teachers card and photo ID at the ticketing desk on the day you wish to visit. Additional fees apply for special exhibitions and shows.
You can arrange your one free Lightning Room show and Planetarium show at the Scienceworks ticketing desk on the day of your visit.
IMAX Melbourne ticket discounts apply to education documentaries only. The discount is not valid on Public Holidays or documentaries on the No Free Ticket (NFT) list.
Can't find the answer to your question? Get in touch with us at [email protected].