link to home page
HomeImage SearchResourcesAbout
Making TracksStationsRiding the RailsStaffPower ParadeDisasters


Country Workshops

A policy of decentralising workshop operations in the early 1900s saw the establishment of additional workshops at Bendigo and North Ballarat in 1913-17. Both facilities concentrated mainly on repairs and maintenance, however, from 1919-22 they built 13 steam locomotives in two batches.

The Moama-Deniliquin Railway was originally built by a private company in 1876. Although it was interconnected with the Victorian Railways system at Echuca, the company owned and maintained its own locomotive and rollingstock fleet with a workshop facility at Deniliquin until its acquisition by the Victorian Railways in 1923.


Turning and fitting shop, Ballarat railway workshopsview larger image Turning and fitting shop, Ballarat Railway Workshop interior.

Locomotives under construction, Ballarat workshops, c. 1922view larger image Locomotive under construction, erecting shop at Ballarat Railway Workshop, circa 1922.

Workmen, Bendigo workshops, 1917view larger image Staff, Bendigo rail workshops, April 1917.

Bendigo Railway Workshops, interiorview larger image Interior, Bendigo rail workshops.

Deniliquin and Moama Railway Companyview larger image Loco workshops, Deniliquin, 1923

Deniliquin and Moama Railway Companyview larger image Loco workshops, Deniliquin, 1923

Deniliquin and Moama Railway Companyview larger image Interior of railway workshop, Moama-Deniliquin line, 1923.


© Museum Victoria Australia