Charles Heber Perrin (1867-1959) joined the Victorian Railways as a junior draftsman on 28 August 1885 and rose through the ranks as a junior engineer, site engineer and senior design engineer to eventually fill the role of Chief Engineer with Railway Construction Branch from 1923 until his retirement in 1932. During his career he was to witness one of the most remarkable periods of railway expansion in Victoria's history, during which the State's railway network grew from 2,700 to 7,725 kilometres. Amongst the many design and construction projects Charles Perrin worked on were Flinders Street Station, several Murray River bridges, the Walhalla narrow gauge railway, the Bairnsdale-Orbost and Gheringhap-Maroona Railways, South Kensington-West Footscray goods line and the Maribyrnong River Viaduct on the Albion-Broadmeadows line.
A number of the images used on this website are drawn from a magnificent bound photograph album presented to C.H. Perrin on his retirement, documenting some of the many projects he had worked on during his career.