link to home page
HomeImage SearchResourcesAbout
Making TracksStationsRiding the RailsStaffPower ParadeDisasters


Victorian Railways Buses

In December 1905, the Victorian Railways established the first motor bus service in Victoria on a route that ran from Prahran Railway Station to Malvern Town Hall. Six kerosene-fired steam-powered Chelmsford bus chassis and engine units imported from Britain and fitted with 24-seat passenger bodies at the Newport Workshops. The service was abandoned after just six months, with the steam buses later being used for occasional tourist trips before being sold in 1911.

In November 1925 the first petrol-powered Railways buses were introduced on a service between Melbourne and Geelong, followed over the next few years by 'feeder' services to tourist destinations around Melbourne such as Queenscliff, Portsea, Monbulk and Warburton.


 Bus driver and busview larger image Driver posing with bus, Fairfield, 1926.

 Steam bus number oneview larger image Victorian Railways steam bus, Melbourne, circa 1901.

 Steam bus number oneview larger image Victorian Railways steam bus, Dandenong Ranges, circa 1901.

 Steam bus number oneview larger image Victorian Railways Steam Bus, circa 1901.

Victorian Railway motor busview larger image Victorian Railway motor bus, circa 1907.

Motor busview larger image Victorian Railways motor bus No.104.

Motor bus, interiorview larger image Victorian Railways motor bus interior.


© Museum Victoria Australia