Summer Sessions x Plaza Series
We are excited to welcome you to Melbourne Museum Summer Sessions x Plaza!
In line with Victorian Government regulations, restricted visitor numbers apply across all Museums Victoria venues.
Melbourne Museum Summer Sessions x Plaza are our outdoor events that are restricted to 300 patrons only in the evening, and up to 300 people at any one time during the day. Food, beverages and toilets will be available onsite.
Free daytime drop in
During the day the Plaza will be open to drop in and make a day of it. The Summer Plaza is open from 11.30am–5pm, Thursday to Saturday and 11.30am–4pm on Sundays throughout January.
Book an evening event
The evening events are outdoors, seated and ticketed. With limited capacity, pre-booking is essential. Ticketed events are running Thursday to Sunday evenings throughout January.
Increased safety measures
Increased cleaning, hygiene and physical distancing measures and venue capacities are in place.
Museums Victoria actively promotes the management of a COVIDSafe environment for all visitors and staff. Our COVIDSafe plan reflects the most up to date public health directives from the Victorian Government and Department of Health and Human Services.
To help keep the event COVIDSafe and in keeping with government directives we request that members of the public attending follow these steps:
- If you are sick please stay home and get tested
- If you are in isolation or quarantine for being a close contact or are waiting on a test result or similar please stay home and follow DHHS advice DHHS website
- If you become unwell while onsite please notify staff immediately
- Please know the symptoms of COVID-19 – fever, coughing, sore throat and shortness of breath
- Please bring and wear a face mask at all times whilst at the event where physical distancing is not possible
- Please follow the directions of venue staff and register for record keeping via the QR code or registry on arrival to events in public spaces
- Please provide your name and contact details for the purposes of contract tracing via QR code
- Please maintain a minimum physical distance of 1.5m from other attendees
- Please practise good hygiene whilst at the event (e.g. cough and sneezing etiquette)
- Please use bins provided
- Please use hand sanitiser stations where provided
- Please follow any displayed instructions and signage (e.g. ground markings, capacity numbers and posters)
- Please follow any instructions by event staff in relation to COVIDSafe practices (e.g. queuing and viewing areas)
- COVIDSafe messages may be delivered before, during and after events via email, ticketing platform and social media channels, keep an eye out for information and please follow the directions to keep yourself and others safe.
- Please read / look at our COVIDSafe signage (if you are able)
- Venues, spaces, and Museums Victoria Staff have the right to refuse service or entry if compliance is not achieved and must insist that anyone displaying COVID-19 symptoms does not attend the event
- Museums Victoria will keep attendees advised on Victoria's COVIDSafe practices while attending events, and retains the right to refuse entry if compliance is not met.
- Please stay seated as much as possible
Our COVIDSafe Plan will be updated as circumstances change and our website will be updated with any additional information for your safety.
We're cashless across our venues – including shops and cafes.
Children under the age of 12 & Over 18’s Events
Children under the age of 12 must be under the supervision of a responsible adult (18 years of age or older) at all times. If the event is designated 18’s and over children under the age of 18 will not be permitted into the venue.
Filming and photography
You're welcome to film and photograph in the museum for non-commercial purposes, except where signs specifically prohibit it. Commercial filming and photography is permitted by prior arrangement only – visit our Museum Spaces website.
You must abide by any warnings and instructions issued by our staff. For safety, footwear must be worn at all times.
Please ensure that your personal items are not left unattended. Museum Victoria is not liable for lost or stolen property. Museum management reserves the right to refuse entry, to remove any person from the site and to inspect bags.
Smoking, eating and drinking
Melbourne Museum Plaza is completely smoke-free. Please eat and drink in designated areas only.
Please stay seated as much as possible. Patrons should be seated so they are 1.5 metres away from any patron from an adjacent group.
Weather events and cancellation
The Summer Sessions x Plaza venue is an outdoor event space and may be subject to adverse weather. We encourage you to pack smart and bring something to keep dry or warm. The Melbourne Museum Plaza will have shade structures to provide relief from the sun.
Events will be cancelled only if the weather poses a safety threat to patrons and staff. If your session is cancelled, you will be notified and tickets will be refunded.
Just a reminder - we need your help too
Don't forget to bring and wear your face mask at the event when you cannot practice physical distancing and keep up the good hygiene. If you’re unwell, please rest up at home and visit us when you are well again. We ask for your patience while we implement new processes to help keep our staff and visitors safe.
In line with Victorian Government guidelines, we will collect the first name and phone number of every visitor for the sole purpose of contact tracing in the event of a suspected COVID-19 case. You will be asked to sign in with a QR code when you visit during the day time or attend a ticketed event.
Museums Victoria actively promotes the management of a COVIDSafe environment for all visitors and staff. Our COVIDSafe plan reflects the most up-to-date public health directions.
We are so grateful for your ongoing patience and support and we can’t wait to see you soon.