Conditions of Use for Online Contributions
Museum Victoria welcomes contributions from members of the public. While we encourage discussion and value feedback, we expect all contributors to demonstrate an appropriate level of respect for alternative points of view and for people's privacy.
You may contribute to Museum Victoria online sites and forums, subject to the following terms and conditions.
Repeated breaches of these Conditions of Use may cause Museum Victoria to complain to the Internet Service Provider of the person responsible, and in very serious cases, initiate legal action.
Terms and conditions
All material published on Museum Victoria's website is at Museum Victoria’s sole discretion.
You may be held legally responsible for the content you submit to Museum Victoria’s website.
Your contribution may be edited, removed or not published if Museum Victoria considers it to be:
- defamatory, or otherwise unlawful or that it violates laws regarding harassment, discrimination, privacy or contempt
- intentionally false or misleading
- an infringement of copyright or other intellectual property rights
- abusive or offensive, including obscenity, blasphemy and racial vilification
- compromising the privacy of yourself, other contributors or of Museum Victoria staff, or containing inappropriate personal information
- seeking to endorse commercial products or activities or to solicit business
- deliberate provocation of other community members
Children's contributions must be supervised by an adult.
Museum Victoria reserves the right to archive and republish all contributions.
Museum Victoria reserves the right to use contributions for internal training purposes.
Privacy – personal information
When you submit personal information about yourself or any other person, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the terms of Museum Victoria's Website Privacy Statement and consent to your personal information being handled according to that statement.
You should consider whether it is appropriate for your contribution to contain personal information about any person other than yourself, and, if it does, and that person can be identified from your contribution, and they are still alive, you confirm that you have told or will tell them:
- that you are disclosing their personal details to Museum Victoria;
- that their personal information may be kept by the Museum, and used and published on its website;
- how they can contact us; and
- that they may apply to access, correct or update their personal information,
and you confirm that they do not object to your disclosure of their personal information on this basis.
You should not provide any information about another person that is sensitive or is about their health, unless you have their express consent to do so.
Material published on the internet is protected by the same laws of copyright which apply to books, videos and music.
The right to "copy" always remains with the owner of the material. Unless expressly stated otherwise, you are not permitted to copy or republish anything you find on the internet without the copyright owner's permission.
If you wish to refer to someone else's material, we recommend you include an attribution in your message. Museum Victoria publishes links to other websites at its sole discretion.
Under Australian copyright law, limited quotation is permissible in the context of genuine review and criticism. However, this does not permit extensive quoting of song lyrics etc.
When you submit content, in any format, you acknowledge that you have all necessary rights, including copyright, in the material that you are contributing to Museum Victoria’s website. You agree that Museum Victoria may use the material online and in whatever other ways Museum Victoria chooses, now and in the future.
Comments and complaints
Complaints or comments about the content and management of particular interactive features can be made via our general enquiries form.