Your guide to our reopening
Museums Victoria will reopen Melbourne Museum, IMAX Melbourne and Scienceworks to the public from Saturday 27 June 2020, seven days a week - in time for the winter school holidays. Timed tickets will be on sale from June 22.
The health and safety of all our visitors, staff and volunteers is our highest priority, and we’ve spent the weeks since closing meticulously planning so that our visitors can safely enjoy our museums.
Following guidelines developed by Creative Victoria — and in close consultation with the Victorian Chief Health Officer, Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and WorkSafe — Museums Victoria will implement a range of public health and physical distancing measures to ensure the safety of visitors, staff, volunteers and other workers.
During shutdown we’ve stayed connected with our communities through our online Museum at Home – now we’re looking forward to bringing visitors back into our spaces to experience that same joy and wonder.
What health and safety measures will be put in place?
Some of the new measures being implemented include;
- Online pre-booking to manage visitor numbers
- Reduced building capacities in line with government guidelines to allow for required physical distancing
- Sneeze screens at all ticketing desks and increased cleaning measures
Creative Victoria is developing guidelines for museums, galleries, performance and other cultural venues to ensure the safety of visitors, as well as staff, volunteers and other workers.
These guidelines are being developed in close consultation with the sector, the Victorian Chief Health Office, Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and WorkSafe and will inform our reopening plans.
We will release more information about safety measures in due course.
Why isn’t the Melbourne Museum/ Scienceworks/ Immigration Museum/ IMAX opening from June 1 under the new guidelines?
We won’t reopen our museums until we are completely confident that we have in place all the necessary measures to keep our visitors, staff and volunteers safe. This remains our number one priority.
When will you reopen to the public?
- Melbourne Museum and Scienceworks will reopen to the public from Saturday 27 June 2020, in time for the winter school holidays.
- Immigration Museum will reopen in August with the launch of Becoming You: An Incomplete Guide, a new in-house developed exhibition that explores the sometimes messy, emotional and often hilarious journey from childhood to adulthood.
- IMAX Melbourne will reopen on 27 June with an exciting program of back catalogue films that celebrate the best of the giant screen IMAX experience; programming will be confirmed in the coming weeks.
Will there be an early access period for members?
In recognition of their ongoing support, Museum Members will have early access to Melbourne Museum from June 22–26.
In line with Museums Victoria’s Autism Friendly Museum Project, autistic children and their families will also be able to visit Melbourne Museum during this preview period.
Museum Members will also be able to enjoy the following enhanced membership benefits (from 22 June–31 July 2020):
- Member-only screenings on 27 and 28 June to IMAX Melbourne
- 20% discount at IMAX cafe
- $10 member flat rate at Melbourne Museum car park when pre-booking
- 15% discount at the Museums Victoria Store
How do I become a Museum Member?
Sign up here to enjoy these exclusive benefits and more: museumsvictoria.com.au/members.
What guided tours will be available for the public? (Royal Exhibition Building Daily Highlights, Pumping Station and Collection Store tours)
Melbourne Museum and Scienceworks will not be offering daily Royal Exhibition Building tours, Pumping Station or Collection Store tours at this stage.
Will Museums Victoria’s Volunteers be welcomed back?
At this stage we’re focusing our efforts on the safe return of visitors and Museums Victoria staff. Once we’ve managed that we’ll look forward to welcoming back our highly valued Volunteers.
Will all of the galleries and spaces be open at Melbourne Museum/ Scienceworks/ Immigration Museum?
- All galleries and spaces at Melbourne Museum will be open with capacity limits in enclosed spaces and increased cleaning measures in place.
- All Scienceworks galleries will be open including the Planetarium and Lightning Room with capacity limits in enclosed spaces and increased cleaning measures in place.
- The Melbourne Museum car park will operate as usual.
- The Melbourne Museum and Scienceworks retail stores will be open during Museum operating hours. You can also shop online at Museums Victoria Store
Will the cafes at Melbourne Museum/ Scienceworks/ IMAX Melbourne be operating?
Coffee and refreshments will be available at both Melbourne Museum and Scienceworks.
For information regarding IMAX please go to imaxmelbourne.com.au.
When will the education and regional outreach program recommence?
These programs will recommence once we are confident we have all necessary safety measures in place.
In the meantime our online education program, Museum at Home Learning, will continue providing virtual learning experiences for classes across Victoria. We look forward to sharing more about recommencing our education and regional outreach program in due course.
Do you have a virtual museum tour/ online collection?
Museum at Home is a new project from Museums Victoria enabling the community to connect, explore and learn more from their favourite museums every day.
With our Museum at Home platform, we’ve opened up our collections, research and experts allowing you to connect, explore and learn more from your favourite museums every day.
We’ve curated our best online content for you to enjoy from wherever you are.
You can continue to connect with our collections, knowledge and expertise wherever you are.
Are your staff still at work on site?
Museums Victoria has moved all staff to working from home apart from staff involved in essential services or required on site to prepare for reopening.
For more information: