Donate an object to our collections
We're always interested in new objects and different stories, and encourage members of the public to contact us if they think they may have something of interest.
Museums Victoria coordinates offers of items, library or archival materials that relate to the museum's collections and research areas of Science, Indigenous Cultures and Australian History and Technology.
To assess donation offers, we first require photographs of the item. Please position a ruler beside the item in the photo to provide a sense of scale. It is also helpful to take photos from several from different angles.
Please tell us about the item you would like to donate:
- What is the history of the item?
- When, where and by whom was it made, owned or used?
- What stories surround the object or the people connected to it?
- What condition is the item in?
- What are its dimensions?
- For library items please include author, title, date and publisher. If offering journals please include volume and issue numbers
- Any other information about the story surrounding the item or the item itself (e.g. any distinguishing features, serial numbers, trade marks)
Items offered for donation cannot be left with the Museum. We are happy to take digital images of any item brought in, but we are unable to keep hold of items while donation offers are being assessed.
Please do not post precious objects, documents or photographs. Museums Victoria holds no responsibility for items sent to us in the post.
All donation offers are placed in a queue. The Museum Acquisition Committees assess donation offers on a case by case basis. It may take several months before a decision is made. There is no guarantee that Museums Victoria will be able to accept items that are offered for donation.
If you would like to make a monetary donation or bequest please refer to our Donations page.
How to send us your information
PO Box 666
Melbourne VIC 3001